Lack of Mobile Phone coverage – Please e mail us your thoughts!!!!

The Commission for Rural Communities (CRC) in conducting research into the issues raised by lack of mobile phone coverage in rural areas. Your Parish Council will respond to the queries below and is asking for your comments to help us formulate a response that takes into account all your comments.

Please help us by e mailing  your response to your Parish Council Chairman, Joe Burlo on by Monday 24 May.

Please look at the e mail below from the CRC.  The more replies we get will strengthen our case and response to the CRC.

Joe Burlo

Chairman – 01787 269999


CRC look into mobile phone coverage
Are you or your community affected by a lack of mobile coverage? The Commission for Rural Communities (CRC) is investigating how mobile coverage is affecting the rural economy, service provision and community life. If mobile coverage is an issue in your area, the CRC would be grateful if you could respond to the following questions:

  • Is lack of mobile phone coverage an issue for your area?
  • In what ways is the lack of mobile coverage an issue? Who or what does this affect and how?
  • What is the impact of lack of coverage on the local/regional economy? Have you or your organisation been able to quantify the impacts?
  • What are the impacts on community life? Does lack of mobile coverage increase or worsen social or financial exclusion? Have you been able to quantify the impacts?
  • Do you know of any obstacles to improving coverage in your area? What are they? Is action being taken to overcome them?
  • Do you have any other comments?

 Mags Lambert

Secretariat for East of England Rural Forum

01473 345346

Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held on 29th March 2010




Cllr J Burlo (Chairman)                                                        Visitors:              3 members of the public  

Cllr J Fenner                                                                                        

Cllr H Anderson

Cllr  J Holder                                                                

Mrs P Potter (Clerk)


  1. Apologies for Absence
    Apologies were received and accepted from Cllr Rawlinson.
  2. Consideration of the Minutes of the Meeting held on 8 February 2010

The minutes were agreed as a true record and signed accordingly.


  1. Declaration of Interests


  1. Public Forum
    Concerns were raised by members of the public regarding the need for traffic calming in the village.  The Parish Council assured them that they will be re-raising this issue with Essex County Council.  There was further discussion regarding the need for more pavements in the village, which will also be raised with ECC Highways.


  1. District and County Items
    There were no reports at this meeting.


  2. BDC Planning Issues

6.1            Planning Applications – The following Planning Committee Decision were noted:

  • 10/00164/FUL: Stone Cottage, Clay Hills – Replacement of flat roof with pitched.

The Committee agreed to support this application.

  • 10/00146/FUL: Land South West of Scotts Farm – Retrospective application for store shed. 
    The Committee agree to support this application.
  • 10/00156/FUL: Vine Cottage, Twinstead Road, Pebmarsh – Erection of metal outbuilding. 
    The Committee agreed to object to this application on the grounds of its size, height and bulk.


6.2      Planning Results  – The following applications were granted:

  • 09/01676/FUL: Rafe Hall – Change of use from storage/distribution centre and office to residential use.
  • 10/00003/FUL: Toms Cottage, Cross End – Erection of single storey side extension
  • 10/00019/FUL: The Wildings, The Street – Erection of timber outbuilding to be used as general storage and home office.
  • 10/00164/FUL: Stone Cottage, Clay Hills – Replacement of flat garage roof with pitched.
  • 10/00146/FUL: Land South West of Scotts Farm – Retrospective for store shed.
  • 10/00031/NMA: Spoons Hall – Non Material Amendment.
  • 10/00018/NMA: 1 Cross End, Pebmarsh – Non Material Amendment.

These results were noted by the Council.

  1. Reports from Representatives
    7.1            Playing Fields/Bus Shelters

Cllr Rawlinson was not present at this meeting, therefore the following two items were postponed until the next meeting:

  • New climbing frame rope
  • RoSPA recommendations
  • New noticeboards  – the Council are still obtaining quotes for this project.
  • Vehicles driving on the playing field – Cllr Fenner  reported that after looking at solutions for this problem, installing short wooden posts to prevent vehicles entering the field would be the best option. It was also agreed that reflective markers are installed to ensure maximum visibility.  Cllr Fenner will arrange for quotes for this work and report back to the Council.

7.2            Village Hall

  • Cllr Holder will discuss any potential projects for the Community Payback Team at the next Village Hall meeting.
  • Cleanliness of the Village Hall:  It was agreed to draw up a work specification for the cleaning of the hall, which can then be taken to the Village Hall Committee to take the issue forward.


7.3       Street Lighting

  • The Clerk reported that the Council only owes A&J Lighting £11.60 to cover a shortfall in VAT payments for three months in 2009, which was due to an administration error when the VAT rates changed.  The Clerk will however, contact the company to query a payment made in 2009 covering an annual maintenance visit.
  • An increase to material costs for some light parts was reported to the Council.

7.4       Legal
Cllr Anderson reported that he has started looking into the issues with ECC, surrounding the Parish Council taking up gritting of the highways around the village during icy weather.  This will be reported back as soon as a comprehensive answer has been received.

7.5            Passenger Transport

  • The Stour Valley Community bus will be launched on 21 April and will run on a Wednesday between Pebmarsh and Sudbury, leaving at 9.30am and returning at 1pm.


8.  Traffic Calming

Although this has been examined in the past, the Parish Council have decided to contact Essex County Council to discuss the installation of traffic calming measures in the village.  It was agreed to consult residents as to their views on the issue and it was decided to invite them to discuss this at the Annual Parish Assembly.  The Clerk will contact ECC Highways to invite a representative to the Annual Assembly to answer questions and put forward the position of ECC with regard to any possible solutions. 

The Clerk will also ascertain any criteria involved in assessing whether traffic calming can be installed so that the Parish Council has this information before the meeting.  The issue of extending 30mph limits to other parts of the village will also be looked into. During this item, it was Proposed Cllr Burlo, Seconded Cllr Fenner and unanimously agreed to adjourn the meeting to receive information from member of the public.  The meeting was closed to the public again following this adjournment.

9.  Parish Council Website and Village Email Service

Cllr Burlo reported that he has looked into creating a new stand alone website for the Parish Coucnil which will have the ability for more pages and a better layout.  Cllr Burlo is continuing to investigate this possibility and will report back to the next meeting.

10.            Litter Picking

Following the recent successful community litter pick, the Clerk contacted BDC to ascertain whether any litter picking equipment could be provided to the Parish Council, which they have agreed to.  For future litter picks, BDC can pick up the bags of rubbish on the day if arranged beforehand.

11.            Parish Emergency Plan

A discussion took place with regard to responding to events such as the loss of power to the village for a long period of time.  Councillors are in contact with residents who are able to provide generators which could be used at the Village Hall.  It was also agreed to contact the Village Agent to find out if they have a list of vulnerable persons that could be used to assist in times of emergency or adverse conditions.  The Clerk will also look at the EALC disaster recovery plan to tailor the plan to the Parish Council. 

12.            Road Safety – Winter Weather
This was discussed at item 7.4 above.  Cllr Anderson will report once he has received the necessary information. 


13.            Finance

13.1            Finance Report
                        The latest finance report was received.

13.2            The following cheques were approved for payment:
            13.2.1            £200.42                        Clerk Salary for March 2010

            13.2.1  £   49.05                Clerk Expenses Feb-March 2010

            13.3     The following cheques paid between meetings due to time constraints were noted and                  approved:

                        13.3.1            £585.00                        Grass Cutting Contractor – Village Green cuts

                        13.3.2            £625.00                        Grass Cutting Contractor – P3Footpath cutting

                        Both cheques signed and dated 9 March 2010


13.4            Grass Cutting Quote

The quote received for grass cutting for 2010/11 was approved, along with extra areas that need to be cut, bringing the total quote to £850.


14. BDC Street Scene Agreement

      The agreement for 2010/11 was agreed and signed and will be returned to BDC by the Clerk.


15. Annual Parish Assembly

  • Councillor Reports: Councillors were asked for their yearly report as soon as possible to                                 enable the Clerk to put together an Annual Report.  This needs to be completed and printed             before the end of April to enable it to be distributed with the Parish Magazine.  The Clerk                will request a report from the John Nott Charity and Cllr Fenner will contact the Footpath                      representative for a report as in previous years.
  • Traffic calming: It was agreed to use the Parish Assembly to consult with the public                            regarding this issue.  The Clerk will contact ECC to see if an Officer from Highways can                           attend and to also request information on the criteria that needs to be met before ECC will                   look at any new schemes.  The Clerk will also enquire about criteria for 30/40mph speed                            limits.


16. Clerk Administration
The Clerk went through general/routine correspondence received.

17. Date of Next Meeting
            The date of the next meeting will be Tuesday 11 May 2010 .  This will be both the Annual Parish Council meeting and the Annual Parish Assembly.

18. Closure

      The meeting closed at 9.40pm.